Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Kindness counts



We have booked for Canada. Just Robert and me. It is just too expensive right now for us to take the kids (there are family reasons too but the main reason is money). The kids understand and are all up for us to go but I am so sorry they aren't coming with us. They want to see the world and while Robert keeps telling us that visiting his home town isn't like doing the 'Canadian Experience' it would still be pretty cool. But today we had a conversation - there is a tiny tiny chance that he and his colleagues will get a bonus this summer - they are 0.5% (yes, half a freaking percent....so close) off making budget with one week to go - and while he was telling me this on the phone he also slipped in that if they get it we could afford to take the children to Canada .......it probably won't happen and to be honest I know he would rather just the two of us went (he fell in love with me after all and the kids came too - he didn't fall in love with the children and then find I came in the same package), he hasn't been back for 16 years so there is a lot he wants/needs to do but as he said on the phone - "it would make you happy'. And it meant masses. (and I will be sleeping with my fingers crossed too....)

5 comments:

  1. difficult decision for both of you. We went to OH's home (Perth and Melbourne, Australia) once without daughter. I hated it, but she was only 4 then. We always take her now. But we only have to pay for one not two. It's not much of a holiday really 'going home'. Its a different type of experience to a family holiday. Maybe the time for the two of you together will be good, but there's always that mum pull that means you want your babies with you. Rock and hard place really but these things have a habit of working out. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that Rock/Hard Place thing.......Robert's brother is ill so we know it won't be a fun holiday but it sucks that the boys won't be there.....and to make matters worse, I may be seeing my sister again after 16 years - (she lives in Bermuda and is also married to a Canadian) and I would love for the children to see her (long story there) .......anyway, my thinking is if the bonus comes through we may just have to book the tickets for next year for all 4 of us super early!!!!!

      Delete
  2. How exciting for the two of you to reconnect as a couple. Now you can scope out all the great places to take the kids when you go back for a second trip! I'm sure Canada is gorgeous this time of year. Too bad you'll still be too far away from middle Missouri.;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear I actually looked at the map when we booked.....

      Delete
  3. Earthquake north, bombs south. Thinking about you today xxx

    ReplyDelete